Nursery Sports Day 2021
Welcome to Nursery
We are the Robins class
In our class we work with Miss Cooper and Miss Dolan. We are also sometimes supported by Mrs Naughton and Mrs Wormald
From 2nd November 2020 Nursery session times will run as follows:
AM Session: 8.30am - 11.30am
PM Session: 12.00pm - 3.00pm
Full Time Session: 8.30am - 3.00pm
Please ensure you collect your child on time at the end of each session.
We are raring to go for Summer 2!
This half term, our learning will be exploring everything to do with being under the sea, the beach and holidays - 'Oh I do Like to be Beside the Seaside'. Our key texts are ' The Snail and the Whale', 'The Night Pirates' and 'The Rainbow Fish'. We will be having lots of fun outside and will be looking at themes such as different people and places around the world, nature and adventure!
In English, we are going to be developing comprehension skills and well as our conversation skills. We are also all trying really hard at writing our names and will be doing lots of practise using our Read Write Inc ditties to help us form letters correctly.
In Phonics, those of us who are Nursery 2 children will be continuing to learn our Set 1 sounds by recognising and naming them. We will also practise forming them as well as doing daily blending and segmenting skills with Fred the Frog and Fred Talk. Those of us who are Nursery 1 children will be continuing to develop our listening skills using Phase 1 phonics.
In Maths we will be strengthening our number skills by working on our careful counting, numeral recognition and our understanding of number. We will also continue to explore capacity, length and shape.
This term we will also be thinking and talking about the theme of transition and moving on as Nursery 2 children get ready to leave Nursery and move on. This can be a confusing, exciting and sometimes upsetting time and we make sure we work together to make transition as smooth and enjoyable as possible for all children, whether they are moving onto Moorhouse Reception class or to another school. Please do speak to a member of staff if you have any concerns about the transition to school.
We will continue our development of Communication and Language, Physical Development, Personal, Social and Emotional Development, Understanding the World and Expressive Arts and Design through our learning in the continuous provision.
We will also continue our sessions of Link for Life, Dinosaur School, and Wake Up Shake Up/Yoga.
Thank you for your continued support. If you have any queries or questions or wish to speak to a member of staff, please make a phone appointment via the school office.
In the Nursery our curriculum is based on ‘Development Matters in the Early Years Foundation Stage’ (EYFS). This has recently been updated and the 2020 version has now been published.
There are 7 areas of learning – 3 prime areas (Personal, Social and Emotional Development, Communication and Language, Physical Development) and 4 specific areas (Literacy, Mathematics, Understanding the World, Expressive Arts and Design).
At Moorhouse, the 4 themes of the EYFS underpin all our planning, practice and provision - A Unique Child, Positive Relationships and Enabling Environments, which together equal Learning and Development.
We also plan for, observe and assess the way in which your child approaches learning. This is done through the ‘Characteristics of Effective Learning’ and we report on this at the end of the Reception year.
The 3 characteristics are Playing and Exploring, Active Learning and Creating and Thinking Critically.
Children participate in daily Literacy, Maths and Phonics sessions. These sessions are interactive, multi-sensory and adapted to different learning styles.
Our Literacy sessions are based around a variety of fiction and non-fiction texts. Shared reading and writing is modelled and children also have the opportunity to compare different types of texts, videos or web-based writing.
Our Maths sessions are often energetic and collaborative. We sing lots of songs and use lots of different resources to aid learning. The majority of our work is practical with photographic evidence of the activities in the children’s Learning Journeys.
For our Phonics sessions we currently use a scheme called 'Read Write Inc'. In Nursery, we work on Phase 1 of Letters and Sounds followed by Read, Write Inc in the summer term.
Things to Remember:
- Please ensure that you provide your child with a clean change of clothes. This will be kept on their coat peg and used for any accidents. We do not currently have many spare clothes available in school. Please also provide wipes for your child if you feel they may need them.
- Please provide your child with a pair of pumps to be used for indoor PE.
- Please provide a pair of wellies for your child to keep in school for outside learning.
- All clothes and possessions should be named.
- Please do not allow your children to use or play on the outside equipment before or after school. Children must only use the equipment when supervised by a member of staff.
- You must not enter the school building unless by prior arrangement with a member of the Senior Leadership Team. Please do not cross the white line surrounding the outside door. You should wear a mask when dropping off/collecting your child. Staff will wear protective face shields and masks at these times.
- If you wish to contact school or speak to a member of staff, please phone the school office to book a telephone appointment.
- We take part in Book Share in Nursery. Books will be changed on a Monday. Please make sure that you bring books back in on a Monday in order for them to be changed. Books will be quarantined before being sent out again.
Useful Websites & Resources
Try out these links to help you support your child at home: